I had to think long and hard about what my first blog post would be because, well, I like SO MUCH FOOD. My all-time favourite food though.. my mom’s ‘Nudelauflauf’ which is a baked Mac and Cheese! My friends always wanted to come over on Nudelauflauf day because it’s just so rich and yummy and delicious. It’s the ultimate comfort food. It’s penne pasta, layered with lots of cheese, and baked in an egg/cream sauce. I don’t miss a lot of non-vegan food, but in all honesty I missed Nudelauflauf … UNTIL this recipe creation! It tastes JUST like the original, except this version is much healthier and definitely a ‘friendly treat’.
How do you make vegan baked mac and cheese?
Instead of using cheese, I used a vegan shredded cheese. And in place of the heavy cream/egg mixture I used blended tofu and almond milk. The tofu helps bind it, and adds protein!
You GOTTA TRY THIS! It’s great for hosting dinners since you prepare in advance and I recommend letting it sit for a while prior to serving. It makes for really yummy leftovers as well!
More than just delicious, this Mac and Cheese is:
- Creamy and crunchy
- Hearty and satisfying
German Baked Mac and Cheese (Nudelauflauf)
- 1.5 lbs penne pasta or gluten free substitute
- 7 oz tofu
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz vegan shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or gluten free substitute
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- In a blender, add tofu, almond milk, salt, pepper, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, and nutmeg until smooth.
- In a standard size casserole dish, add half the penne. Sprinkle with oregano and half the vegan shredded cheese.
- Add the remainder of the penne pasta. Pour the tofu/almond mixture over the penne.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the vegan cheese, oregano, and breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes until top is golden brown.