Maybe June wasn’t the best time to plan for a Whole Food Plant-based Challenge with all the baby showers happening! Here I was thinking I could make these treats without taste testing, but I had no choice. I wanted to perfect this recipe, not only to make a perfect baby shower cake for the soon-to-be mama, but for my readers too! It turns out you can make delicious, dairy-free, egg-free cake and buttercream frosting. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it works perfectly with decorating. It’s not too fluffy which makes for easy frosting application, but its not too dense either. It’s PERFECT!
Back to the challenge update: Normally, I would have no problem, but since blogging and wanting to create yummy recipes for everyone, it hasn’t been easy. Other than that, it’s been going pretty well. Choosing unprocessed foods whereever I can comes second nature to me. It’s all about the proper mindset, being organized, and having your go-to recipes.
As for this cake recipe, it’s certainly not ‘healthy’, but it contains a lot of healthier modifications and substitutions. It’s the perfect cake for special occasions and to TREAT YOSELF. This cake is:
- Perfectly sweet
The method for this cake is pretty comparable to non-vegan cake in terms of the preparation. Make sure to bring everything to room temperature prior to mixing. One of the key differences is making a buttermilk. Let the apple cider vinegar sit in the almond milk (or other non-dairy milk) for a short while to turn it into buttermilk. This brings it to just the right alkalinity to let the baking soda work it’s magic.
Vanilla Layer Cake with No-Buttercream Frosting
Vanilla Layer Cake
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees C. Line two 8" cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix all wet ingredients until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients, non-dairy milk/apple cider vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Divide into pans and bake at 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Allow to cool completely before removing from pans and decorating.
- In a mixer using the whisk attachment, mix butter and shortening until creamy.
- Add the icing sugar one cup at a time. Add vanilla extract and non-dairy milk.