Generally, I forget about all the non-lettuce salad options! I have a garden full of lettuce, but for whatever reason I REALLY wanted a Greek Salad. I wanted it so much that I convinced my dad to let me make it for Father’s Day even though he insisted on making all the food himself! Pretty cool dad, I know!
This one is a classic Greek Salad. Plain and simple! The only modification is no feta, of course. Stay tuned for a tofu feta recipe. But for this one, I chose a pre-made packaged ‘just like feta’ vegan cheese. I used Violife and it was amazing.
I also provide a substitution for the oil in the dressing for an oil-free alternative. Why oil-free? While there’s nothing wrong with a small amount of oil here and there, some nutrition experts believe that oil is an unnecessary processed food that is lacking in nutrients. Especially bad are frying oils, and processed oils. Sauteing with water instead of oil actually works just as well and saves lots of empty calories!
You will find some oil here and there in my recipes, but wherever I can omit the oil I will do so! The nutritional value from whole foods is so much greater. In the case of the Greek Salad, why add olive oil when there’s already olives!
The key to this recipe is the combo of the fresh dill and dried oregano in the dressing! This salad is:
- 1 english cucumber chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 4 oz vegan feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil sub blended zucchini equaling 1/4 cup
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Chop all veggies and combine. in medium bowl.
- Combine salad dressing ingredients.
- For the oil-free version, in a blender combine zuchini with lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Then add spices.
- Let the feta marinate in the dressing for approximately 10 minutes before combining with the veggies.
- Serve immediately or let marinate in fridge for deeper flavours.