Twenty six days into my June Friendly Challenge, and things are going well. Every June, and every November, I generally challenge myself to some kind of health challenge, whether it’s to exercise more, or to abstain from refined sugar, or drink more water. This June, I kicked it up a notch and decided to go PROCESSED-FREE. I was inspired by Dr. Michael Greger’s book, How Not to Die. I have mentioned this book before and I will probably sound like a broken record, but if you haven’t already you definitely need to read this book!! The studies speak for themselves when it comes to eating a whole food plant-based diet.
The dilemma with me is that I LOVE making food. I’m working on balance which is why I like to challenge myself every so often. And one of my challenges within the challenge, is to create healthy meals using unprocessed foods.
This one is for sure a WINNER. Even my husband loved it. The combination of the tofu scramble with the roasted bell peppers and roasted potatoes is SO DELICIOUS. And the best part is I have a ton of collard in my garden right now. Collard wraps are such a great way to incorporate more greens into your diet, while avoiding processed wraps that often contain chemicals and other garbage. Another go-to collard idea is simply peanut butter and bananas! YUM.
This recipe is:
The nutrients you will get from this dish are abundant. You will get all the goodness from the collard greens, the satisfying and bio-available protein from the tofu, the vitamins from the red pepper, potassium from the potatoes, and SO MUCH MORE. And I promise you, the flavors will not disappoint. Feel free to use a store bought wrap if you want it to be more filling. You could always wrap a store bought (or homemade) wrap around the collard wrap. (That’s a lot of ‘wraps’ in one sentence, i know… ).
Mexican Inspired Breakfast Collard Wraps
- 6 large collard wraps
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 large red onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 7 oz tofu
Roasted Veggie Hash
- 3 medium red potatoes diced small
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- homemade or store bought salsa
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes sliced small
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- Cut the collard stems and shave off the thick parts of the stem if you can. It will make for an easier wrapping.
Roasted Veggie Hash
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add whole red pepper and diced potatoes to pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cumin, and bake at 450 degrees C for 20-25 mins or until golden brown. .
- Add water and spices to your pan and heat to a simmer.
- Add onions and tofu. With a spatula, scramble tofu into pieces and stir until water has been absorbed and evaporated. Add more salt/pepper to taste.
- Cut red pepper into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add potatoes and peppers to pan with tofu scramble.
- Chop cilantro and mix into scramble.
- Place scramble and hash mixture onto collard wrap (light side up)
- Add salsa, tomatoes, sliced avocados.
- Fold in sides, and roll like a burrito. ENJOY!