What is Nooch Pop? And how do you make it?? It has literally been my obsession lately. I found a local Nooch Pop that is absolutely to die for. I love it so much that I couldn’t pass it in the grocery store without buying it, and then I’d go through the entire bag in a day. The madness had to stop, so I told myself I would make my own!
I had also been experimenting with perfecting my own stove top popcorn making skills for a while, and I am finally confident with it. It would be good to have an air popper one day to avoid the oil, but for now I’m pretty happy with the method and it tastes delicious.
Not to mention, it’s still plastic free July! I picked up the popcorn kernels at the Bulk Barn, and feel pretty good that in making my own I won’t be tossing any packaging away.
So here’s the method. You will need a regular old stainless steel pan with a lid. I’ve tried this recipe with a heavy bottom pot and it just didn’t work for me. In a coffee grinder, or blender, mix the seasonings until they are a fine powder! The finer the powder, the better it will stick to the popcorn!
Add 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil to the pan and turn onto medium heat. Place 3 kernels of popcorn inside and place the lid on. Now watch carefully. Do not get distracted by anything!! Because as soon as all three kernels pop, you put the rest of the kernels in and cover. Continuously, move the pot back and forth on the element, and the kernels will begin popping. Once you think the last kernel has popped, remove from the heat. Sprinkle your seasoning on top and close the lid again. (Warning.. you may get a kernel or two fly into your face at this point).
Shake the pan to coat the popcorn. It’s important to remove the pan from the heat because the nutritional yeast mixture easily burns! But, you will also want to put the seasoning on while the popcorn is still inside the pan as the steam will help coat the popcorn.
Once it’s coated, serve and enjoy! You can also throw it into an air tight container and use it for snacks.
This popcorn is:
- Great source of Fiber
Stove Top Nooch Popcorn
- Coffee Grinder
- Stainless Steel Pan
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- In a coffee grinder or blender, blend the nutritional yeast, turmeric, and salt to a fine powder.
- In a stainless steel pan, melt the coconut oil on medium heat. Add 3 popcorn kernels and cover with a lid.
- Wait for the 3 kernels to pop, and as soon as they do, add the remaining kernels.
- Continuously shake the pan so the kernels don't burn.
- Once the kernels stop popping, remove the pan from the heat. Remove the lid, add your seasoning, and replace the lid. Shake the pan to coat your popcorn. (Make sure the pan is no longer on the heat as the seasoning burns very easily).
- Enjoy immediately or store in an air tight container for an on-the-go snack!