There are about a gazillion banana bread recipes out there. You really can’t go wrong with most of them. Bananas give baked goods an extra level of sweetness, moistness, and yummy goodness. I’ve been focusing on zero/less waste a lot lately, so this is a great recipe to make when you have over-ripe bananas laying around.
This recipe is wheat free! I would say ‘gluten free’ but it uses oats which technically are not ‘gluten free’ because of cross-contamination. If you’re completely gluten free, I would recommend using quinoa flakes. I am not gluten free! Luckily, I don’t have an issue with gluten, but with that said everyone has ‘processed food’ issues to some extent which is why I try to limit processed flours. (‘Try’ being the key word here..).
I was pleasantly surprised with how this Banana Bread turned out given that it’s not made with flour. I used a blend of almond and oat flour. When using heavier flours, the key is to blend them down in your blender or food processor to a finer powder.
Other than that, the method is pretty simple. You could probably even just throw all of the ingredients into the blender now that I think about it! Vegan baking is so easy!
This Vegan Banana Bread is:
Plant-Based Banana Bread
- 3 bananas ripened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp apple sauce
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 cups oats blended to flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg. (Mix 1 tbsp flax meal to 2.5 tbsp water)
- In a blender or food processor, blend oats and almond to a fine powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour mix, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, blender, or food processor, mix bananas, vanilla, flax egg, coconut oil, coconut sugar, apple sauce, and almond milk.
- Combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combine.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry.