THIS CAKE!! I kid you not, it’s one of the BEST chocolate cakes I have ever had. I played around with ingredients that make it moist and perfected the right amount of avocado and apple sauce. IT’S SO GOOD!!!!
I made it to have a little treat, post it on here, and eventually I turned it into cake truffles for a baby shower. They were ALSO good turned into cake truffles, but made into a simple square cake with frosting just takes me back to eating store bought freezer cake. Except, this cake is BETTER and made with MUCH healthier ingredients!
It’s also very easy to make. You can whip it up in no time for a dinner party or to take with you to a non-vegan friendly function. I guarantee you, everyone will love it!!
One of the steps in this recipe requires you to add hot water. Why do you add hot water to cake batter? Adding hot water brings out the cocoa flavour! The hot water will make it very runny, but trust the process!!
For the piping, you will need a standard star piping tip. Just dollop them on. It literally takes about 5 minutes. Or if you don’t have piping tools, just slather on the frosting!
This Chocolate Cake is:
- Comfort Food
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free sub
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 medium avocado mashed
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp instant espresso optional but delicious!
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 can coconut milk water removed
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk or other plant-based milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add apple cider vinegar to almond milk and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream melted coconut oil, avocado, apple sauce, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. (Including espresso, if using)
- Add dry ingredients, and apple cider vinegar to the mixer, and mix until combined.
- Add the boiling water and mix until the mixture is blended and shiny.
- In a square 8-9inch pan lined with parchment or sprayed with coconut oil, add mixture and bake for about 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- In a stand mixer, add the creamy part of a can of coconut milk (Discard or drink the water!)
- On high speed, blend until creamy, and slowly add the other ingredients until combined.
- When the cake is cool, decorate the cake with the frosting.