Anything you can make, I can make vegan. This has been my motto lately. There is honestly nothing that can’t be veganized. The problem with ‘veganizing’, though, is that trying too hard to turn a food vegan, generally means that you are moving away from a whole food plant-based diet. And a predominately WFPB diet is essential to being a ‘healthy vegan.’
People have been asking me lately, ‘Are Beyond Meat Burgers healthy?’ Well, yes and no. They are definitely healthier than the meat option, in my opinion. But, eating food in it’s pure and whole form is always the ideal choice. It’s very easy to fall into the ‘junk food vegan’ trap, so always remind yourself that whole plant-based foods are key.
Enter: my Easy Vegan Frittata. It’s a good mix of veganizing a staple food, while being mostly unprocessed.
How do you make eggless frittatas?
Easy. You really don’t need eggs for anything. There are countless options for egg substitutes in baking and cooking. My favourite egg substitute is flax eggs and that is what I use in my Easy Vegan Frittatas. For one flax egg, mix one tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with two and a half tablespoons of water! Let sit for a few minutes, and add to your recipe.
As for the rest of the recipe: You will need a high speed blender and an oven safe pan. I like to use a cast iron pan. I probably use my cast iron pan for just about everything actually. It’s AMAZING. I love to just throw it into the oven for a quick finish.
What does ‘water fry’ mean?
For whatever reason, people think you need oil to fry foods. You DON’T! It takes a little practice, but if you have a good non-stick pan, just saute at low heat and add dashes of water or broth to keep your food from sticking. This is the trick with the frittata veggies. When you’re done water frying, remove half of the veggies to add to the top later.
Meanwhile, blend the rest of the ingredients in your blender. This recipe uses tofu and chickpea flour which makes for a high plant-based protein meal!
THEN, pour the liquid into your pan with the veggies, mix with a wooden spoon, and place the remaining veggies on top. Feel free to sprinkle with vegan cheese, and bake in the oven.
This Easy Vegan Frittata is:
For other high-protein meals, check out:
Easy Vegan Frittatas
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 8 oz tofu
- 1.5 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes julienned
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- Preheat oven to 375C.
- In a small bowl, mix ground flaxseeds with five tablespoons of water and let sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Water fry onions and mushrooms.
- Add remaining ingredients (except sundried tomatoes), into high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove half of the veggies in the pan for later use.
- Add frittata mix to hot pan, top with remaining veggies, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with salsa, hot sauce, or ketchup!