I’m not an expert by any means in Indian cuisine, other than the fact that I LOVE eating it. I’ve been to India a few times, where I fully enjoyed authentic Indian food and became obsessed. The various spices and flavours are so unique and unlike any other food. I make Indian food quite often at home and am sharing one of my faves – my Vegan Matar Paneer!
How do you make Vegan Matar Paneer
I’m going to make it as basic as possible for you home chefs. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees C. Coat the cubed tofu with the cornstarch mixture, and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
The key to elevating the flavour from the spices is always sauteing onions with spices prior to adding in the coconut and almond milk. I love this part because it makes the house smell ridiculously good.
Next, add in the coconut milk and almond milk. Mix and add in other spices to taste.
Add baked tofu, chickpeas, and peas.
Serve with brown rice. Top with cilantro and enjoy!
Vegan Matar Paneer
- 200 gr tofu
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp ginger fresh grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees celsius
- In a non-stick pan, saute onions until translucent. I use the water fry method to avoid unnecessary oils.
- Once onions are translucent, add garlic, grated ginger, and spices. Saute for approximately 5 minutes.
- Cube tofu into half inch pieces. Toss with cornstarch and bake on silicon or lined baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and almond milk to onion/spice mix and let cook.
- Add tofu, chickpeas, and peas and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice and top with cilantro.
<div class=”nutrifox-label” data-recipe-id=”96023″></div><script async src=”https://nutrifox.com/embed.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>