How do make Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches?
It’s almost like a challenge for me when I’m out to eat with friends and they apologize that I can’t eat what they are eating. No apologies needed because I’m going to recreate what you’re eating, make it even better, AND make it HEALTHY. That happened a few weeks ago when my coworkers were eating super delicious looking breakfast sandwiches at a cute cafe in a foodie part of town. While sipping my tea, I brainstormed how to recreate this goodness and it really wasn’t tough.
I had tried ‘shitake’ bacon before and it was glorious. Since portobellos are easier to find, I substituted them for an ultra delicious alternative. Just slice up your bacon, and marinade it for a few hours. Stick it in the oven (preferably on a drying rack to help it air out for extra crispiness) and BAM.. you’ve got portobello bacon.
As for the tofu egg. It really doesn’t get any easier. Steam it in water, spiced with turmeric, salt (preferably black lava salt for an eggy taste), pepper, and other spices.
For the ‘cheese’, I use Chao cheese. It’s incredible how many delicious plant-based cheese alternatives there are nowadays. I also LOVE shopping local and supporting vegan cheese makers like, Blue Heron Cheese in Vancouver.
Let’s discuss Tofu…
Does Tofu Contain Estrogens?
Firstly, I’m not a medical profession but this information comes from years of nutrition research and from my background working as a nutritionist. Tofu contains ‘phyto-estrogens.’ There was a time where it was thought that due to the similarities to estrogen, phyto-estrogen reacts the same in the body. Because of this misinformation, people stopped consuming soy products because they believed they would grow ‘man-boobs’ or have excess estrogen in the body. We now know that phyto-estrogen has very beneficial effects such as reducing breast cancer risk and aiding menopause. As for feminizing men, this could not be further from the truth. Many plant-based body builders consume soy on a daily basis and see great results! If you haven’t already, check out the Gamechangers on Netflix, or their website!
Hope you enjoy this recipe because it is:
For other breakfast ideas, check out my:
Vegan Portobello Breakfast Sandwich
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp miso paste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 8 oz firm tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp salt preferable black lava salt
- 2 english muffins
- 2 slices vegan cheese
- vegan mayo or spread of your choice
- Slice portobello bacon into thin, long strips.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and marinate mushroom for at least 2 hours or longer.
- Place on metal drying rack on top of baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
- Slice an 8oz piece of tofu square into two halves. Using a round cookie cutter or cup, make two 'egg pucks'.
- Fill a pan with about half an inch of water. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, and salt to the water and let simmer. Add the egg pucks and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, turning once halfway. Place vegan cheese on top of egg pucks to allow to melt just prior to assembly.
- Toast english muffins.
- Spread vegan mayo, vegan butter, or your favourite spread on your english muffins.
- Place cheesy, tofu egg and portobello bacon between the english muffin and enjoy!
<div class=”nutrifox-label” data-recipe-id=”101032″></div><script async src=”https://nutrifox.com/embed.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>
[…] via Vegan Portobello Breakfast Sandwich — The Friendly Cookie […]