It took me a while to find my favourite method of breading. I tried to ‘veganize’ my mom’s method of breading schnitzel with garbanzo egg but it just wouldn’t stick. But, batter breading is my new fave! Not only is this recipe vegan, it’s also entirely oil-free.
Can you make breaded cauliflower gluten free?
I haven’t tried this recipe using gluten-free flour yet, but I’m assuming that it would work just as well. Use your favourite gluten free flour and gluten free breading!
What kind of bread crumbs are best for breading cauliflower?
I’ve tried both panko and regular bread crumbs! Both work. I actually love making my own breading out of sprouted grain bread. It’s so easy and nothing goes to waste!
What are the health benefits of cauliflower?
Oh so many! I’ll just refer you to healthline for an in-depth look at just how nutritious cauliflower actually is. Here is snippet:
- Calories: 25
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Vitamin C: 77% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 20% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 11% of the RDI
- Folate: 14% of the RDI
- Pantothenic acid: 7% of the RDI
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Manganese: 8% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 4% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
How do you make Baked Cauliflower Schnitzel?
You will be surprised at how easy this recipe is! All you need is a head of cauliflower, all-purpose flour, panko breading, spices, and plant-based milk (I used oat milk with great results).
With a large chef’s knife, carefully cut 1/2″ – 1″ slices of cauliflower starting from the middle. Once you get to the ends of the caulifower, pieces will crumble off. (You can use these to batter and bake. Or save for later!)
In a deep plate or large bowl, whisk flour, spices, and almond milk until mixed together.
Cover the cauliflower with batter.
In a separate bowl with the panko breading, toss and cover the batter covered schnitzel with the panko. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 40 mins at 400F.
Enjoy with a good mustard, squeeze of lemon, and herbs.
This Baked Cauliflower Schnitzel is:
- can be made gluten free
Keep in your freezer for up to 5 days. You can re-heat in the oven or saute in a pan!
Baked Cauliflower Schnitzel
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper white pepper preferred
- 1.5 cups panko
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice cauliflower to make 1/2" to 1" pieces. (Slice carefully to avoid pieces falling off)
- In a deep plate, whisk flour, spices, and plant-based milk until combined.
- In another plate, add panko bread crumbs.
- Cover each piece of cauliflower carefully and one-by-one with batter, and then panko.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Enjoy immediately with mustard or dip of your choice!
If you have tried this recipe, please leave me a comment below!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also like:
I just tried making this and completely fell in love with the taste and concept! Even my kids were fans. We have had this recipe twice this week! I think I want to try the batter with zucchini next! Thank you so much for the great, healthy ideas!
Im intrigued …will be attempting this today